Saturday 26 January 2008

chick peas, honey, couscous. plus nuts.

This was dictated to me in the kitchen... so I can't claim authorship, but it's a simple and curious recipe, so I'll write it down.

In at number one, for the third post running;

a big onion.
400g jar of chick-peas, or garbanzos, depending what language you're in.
a green bell pepper (not too big)
Jar of clear honey
and some cashew nuts (I realise I forgot those yesterday)

Couscous, and some butter.

Chop the onion like this; half it, top to bottom, then slice both halves thinly along the vertical axis. Then use your fingers to pull apart the resulting slices, so you have kind of semi-circle strips of onion. Sorry; I'm not sure how to explain that without pictures or something, and well; I know what I'm on about.
Also, chop the green pepper into something like little squares (approx 1cm?). No need to be exact.

Right. Frying pan out. Olive oil in it (table-spoon full). LOW heat.

Stick the onion and pepper into it, and cook gently until the onion has gone very soft: I mean when it's totally lost the will to live, like a tortured interrogation victim, etc. Then add about half the jar of chick peas, stir around a bit, then finally drizzle on about a table spoon full of the honey and stir some more. Forgetful upadate! Then stir in a few cashew nuts. ahem.

Heat off!

For the couscous, you can follow instructions on the box, as I have no better instructions myself. (this is where you should need butter)

Then it's done! We ate it on it's own, but I think it would make a nice couscous accompaniment to something else. Don't be scared by the idea of putting honey in food, either, it's not weird at all!

Don't forget the nuts...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.