Friday 13 June 2008

vegetarian bean burgers

I found this recipe in the Gruaniad last year, then lost it; in the mean time I´ve made them 3 times, and I imagine the recipe has changed enough for me to claim authorship...

They have been very popular too!
This makes a load of the mixture, which will feed 4 or 5 people at least, I would imagine.

So,

1 large onion, chopped.
3 large potatoes, peeled, quartered.
tin of red kiddly beans.
150g baby spinach.
handful of dried bread crumbs.
an egg.
some flour (...)
mild curry powder
mixed herbs
pepper, salt blah blah blah

Fry the onion lightly for about 5 minutes, then add the spinach until it has wilted. Put it all on one side.
Meanwhile, be boiling the potatoes, for 15 minutes. After 7 minutes, add the beans. Once the potato is cooked, drain and put in a BIG bowl. Add the spinach and onion, seasoning, a heaped teaspoon of curry powder then mash it all about roughly - not to make a smooth paste, but rather a lumpy mix. I did it violently with the back of a spoon. Then crack open and stir in the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs.
Leave. To. Cool.

sprinkle a large plate with flour, then take small handfuls of the mixture, made into burger shapes, and roll in the flour until covered.

Once you have a few burgers, you can fry them! 5 or 6 minutes on each side, on a medium heat, in a reasonable amount of olive oil.

Serve with whatever you want! The mixture seems to keep quite well, so you can make it for use later (but I might be wrong and you might get salmonella, though so far I´m not dead)

No comments: